27 of the Washington DC Fire
Department began serving the
communities of Benning, Deanwood, and
surrounding areas on January 16, 1908.
Originally organized as the Second
Chemical Engine Company #1, the first
piece of apparatus was a 1901 C. T.
Holloway 170 Gallon double tank
chemical engine housed at the present
quarters of 27 Engine.
June 15, 1914, the Second Chemical
Engine Company No. 1 was disbanded and
Engine Company No. 27 was placed in
service. The first pieces of
apparatus were a 1906 American
LaFrance Metropolitan 500 Gallon steam
fire engine and a 1903 American
LaFrance 70 Gallon double tank
combination chemical / hose wagon.
Engine Company 27 is located at 4201
Minnesota Avenue, NE. Engine 27
is assigned to the Second Battalion.
In January of 2007, Engine 27 became a
Paramedic Engine Company, and all four
shifts have a firefighter / paramedic
assigned. Also housed with
Engine 27 are Ambulance 27 and Medic
27. The Call Box number for
Engine 27's quarters is Box 988.